Scotland’s Gardens Scheme

Open your Garden for Charity in 2021

Scotland’s Gardens Scheme enables people to visit hundreds of wonderful private gardens throughout Scotland each year, raising money for charity through admission prices, teas and plant sales. To celebrate its 90th year, the charity is inviting new gardens to take part in the Scheme in 2021 and would welcome gardens of all shapes and sizes, from castles to cottages and from urban to rural. The charity would also welcome community gardens and allotments, and groups of smaller gardens opening together such as villages or local streets.

In a typical year, around 500 gardens take part in the scheme, raising funds for nearly 250 charities while providing a wonderful day out for garden enthusiasts. This is a chance for enthusiasts to share their love of gardens and gardening with like-minded visitors, as well as joining in with a Scotland-wide community of other garden-owners and volunteers.

The difference you’ll make

Gardens opening through Scotland’s Garden Scheme help to support the work of hundreds of charities and Garden Openers can choose to support a cause close to their heart, with 60% of funds raised going to the charity of your choice. The remaining 40% goes to support Scotland’s Garden Scheme with net proceeds going to their main beneficiaries, the Queen’s Nursing Institute Scotland, Maggie’s and Perennial.

The support you’ll receive

Gardens are promoted in Scotland’s Gardens Scheme’s famous yellow Guidebook, on its website, in social media and in the press, with advice and support from a wonderful team of local volunteers and Head Office staff. Gardens may open as a one-off event, as a series of openings, as part of a group or even by arrangement.

“We know that gardens have never been more important, with many people spending more time in gardens and open spaces this year than ever before. Whether your garden is big or small, formally designed or a cottage garden, if you think other people would enjoy visiting your garden, we’d love to hear from you!” says Liz Stewart, National Organiser, Scotland’s Gardens Scheme.

“Although we had far fewer gardens opening than usual in 2020 due to COVID, those that did open, did so successfully with great care by Garden Openers to ensure social distancing measures were in place. We know from visitor feedback how much these garden openings were appreciated by visitors, who welcomed the chance for a touch of normality and a positive experience in an otherwise difficult year. We’d like to thank all those Garden Openers and volunteers who have made such a difference this year, both to visitors and those charities supported.”

With reports of many people gaining a new interest in gardening this year, it’s a great chance to share your knowledge and inspire others by opening your garden as part of Scotland’s Gardens Scheme. New gardens are being recruited right now – so get in touch soon! More details are available on the Scotland’s Gardens Scheme website.

Comments are closed.